In this Privacy Statement “we”, “us” or “our” means The Hollard Insurance Company (ABN 78 090 584 473, AFSL 241436) (“Hollard”) and Hollard Commercial Insurance Pty Ltd (ABN 86 603 039 023, AFSL 474540) (“Hollard Commercial”), unless specified otherwise.
How, when and from where we collect your personal information
We collect your personal information from:
- you in various ways and at several different points e.g. telephone conversations (including any form of mobile phone text messaging), webchat, our websites, electronic devices and hard copy forms);
- your agents (e.g. your broker) or anyone else you have authorised to deal with us on your behalf (e.g. family members or your legal representative);
- our distributors or referrers, agents, business partners and affiliates, and related companies;
- other insurers;
- our service providers;
- third parties for the purposes of assessing a claim or providing you with insurance cover or other services;
- another party involved in a claim;
- Insurance References Service (IRS) or other insurance reference bureau service by accessing the IRS database;
- third parties claiming under your policy;
- law enforcement, dispute resolution, statutory and regulatory bodies;
- marketing or industry databases;
- data partners, analytic consultants and other similar organisations;
- publicly available sources of information; and
- any other organisation or person where you have consented to them providing your personal information to us or consented to us obtaining personal information from them; and
- there may be times when we collect information using a secure online platform by Qualtrics in Australia, which will then be downloaded by us.
If you provide personal information to us about another person you must only do so with their express or implied consent and agree to make them aware of this Privacy Notice.
The personal information we collect will depend on the products and services we offer or you use or apply for. This will typically include your name, contact details (address, phone and email address), date of birth, gender, payment details as well as other information we collect through devices like ‘cookies’ when you visit our website such as your computers address (IP address) and online preferences. A cookie is a message given to a web browser by a web server which is then stored by the browser in a text file. Each time the browser requests a page from the server this message is sent back which enable the user’s IP identified.
We also collect sensitive information where we require it to provide our products and services, this may include your criminal record, health information and any membership of a professional or trade association or union.
Purpose of collection
We collect your personal information to provide, offer and administer our various products and services, or otherwise as permitted by law. This includes:
- responding to your enquiries or complaints;
- providing you with assistance when you request this of us;
- maintaining and administering our products and services (e.g. processing requests for quotes, applications for insurance, amending the existing insurances you have with us, underwriting and pricing policies, issuing you with a new policy, managing claims, processing payments);
- assessing you as a supplier for the Hollard repairer network;
- processing your survey or questionnaire responses including market research and the collection of general statistical information using common internet technologies such as cookies; providing you with marketing information regarding our other products and services, to the extent permitted by law. You can elect to opt out of marketing material we send to you. We will not sell or trade your personal information for marketing or any other purposes; and
- statutory or regulatory reporting.
We will also collect your information for:
- quality assurance purposes;
- training purposes;
- performing administrative operations (including accounting and risk management); and
- any other purpose identified at the time of collection.
If your personal information cannot be collected
If you do not provide us with your personal information that we require, we may not be able to provide you with our products or services. This will include issuing you an insurance policy and the processing or settling of your claim.
Who we disclose your personal information to
We may disclose your personal information with our related companies (including each other) and other third parties who provide services to us, or on our behalf, for the purposes we have described above.
These parties may include insurers, intermediaries’, reinsurers, our advisors, persons involved in your claim, the insurance reference bureau, collection agents, data partners, analytic consultants or any interested parties you have notified in your policy (e.g. a financier of the property the subject of your insurance). Disclosure may also be made to government, law enforcement, dispute resolution, statutory or regulatory bodies, or as required by law.
Some of the third-party service providers we disclose your personal information to are located outside Australia. The countries where this information may be disclosed will vary from time to time, however these may include Singapore, United States of America, Sweden, United Kingdom, New Zealand, Germany and South Africa.
We will take reasonable steps to ensure that the overseas recipient does not breach the privacy laws (including the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth)) applicable in relation to your personal information. We review, on a regular basis, the systems we use to transfer personal information overseas and the transfer of your personal information will only be made for one or more of the purposes specified above.
Accessing your personal information we hold or where you can make a complaint
Our Privacy Policies contain information about how you can:
- access the personal information we hold on you and how you may go about correcting it; and
- may complain about a breach of any Australian Privacy Principles and how we will deal with that complaint.
If you wish to update or gain access to your personal information or raise a complaint about a breach of your privacy you can contact the Privacy Officer at:
By providing us with your personal information you, and any other person you provide personal information for, consent to these uses and disclosures until you tell us otherwise. If you wish to withdraw your consent, including for things, such as receiving information on products and offers by use or persons we have an association with, please contact us.